Tuesday, March 13, 2012

While You Were Sleeping

I am sure somewhere along the way, you have read or heard about the marathon I am training for.  I can hear it now..."Oh no, not more about running!"  Well, not exactly, but maybe a little. In 5 short days this race will be over.   I have managed to make it through with only minor/not so minor injuries that began with a dog bite several months ago that has now healed.  Well, on my last long run several days ago, I began to feel an ache in my knee that was worse than the usual one that I feel in both knees.  Well, I just ignored it (of course)...well on my next short run...my left knee was screaming at me and I was quickly reminded.  Some Some swelling set in...not much but more than I would like to see at this point in the game.  Very frustrated, I quickly began to baby it in preparation for the race_ in remember...those 5 short days away.  Prednisone (an anti-inflammatory med) became my new friend yesterday as well as the reason for the title of this blog.  One of the side effects of this medicine is that can make you feel wired.  Well, just in case you don't know, I am already one wired up, energetic girl.  Soooo the combo of the two is recipe for disaster.  By bedtime, and after my 3rd "prescribed" dose I could have conquered the world.  I got many things done yesterday, laundry caught up (with the help of my mini me), a clean dog, everyone fed, kitchen cleaned, clothes laid out for tomorrow, ball practice bags and clothes x 2 arranged, a couple of chapters in Numbers and prayer time with my love.  All within 2 hours.  Bedtime came, another tid bit for ya...baby Barbee's are down at 8 on school nights and we bed down at 9.  Yep...9...we are old- go ahead and say it!  All that to tell you that upon me getting in the bed, as opposed to my usual falling in bed from being so tired, II could tell I wasn't going to fall asleep easily.  So WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING...

...I began to hear the usual... snoring, 5-10 minutes tops from hitting his pillow, I snuggle close, lay a hand on him and thank God for my help mate who makes me very proud. 

...I strategize how I will break my marathon into sections, when I will stop and hydrate, how many sports beans I will pop at a time, and most of all I think of me getting emotional when/if I cross the finish line.  No joke I see pics of people crossing the finish lines of races past and I tear up.

...I think of my sweet sister/friend, Bonnie, who was diligently training with me and fell on one of our long runs (almost the end may I add) and broke her foot.  Out, just that quick! She is a trooper, yes she is frustrated but she took it far better than I would have.  I will be running it with her next year, Lord willing!
...I think of how fun this marathon weekend will be to spend with dear friends who know us, really know us and love us all the same.

...I think of the kids ball season starting and the "busy"ness of it all, yet loving every minute of it..it all begins tomorrow (well today, its 4 am by the way)

...I see how God has answered/is answering prayer relating to a couples ministry that Jason and I started praying over a while ago...so excited about this!

..my mind drifts to some patients I have coming in for follow up today and realizing in the last couple of weeks, I truly have seen some sick kids- not just the usual "colds"

I look at the clock and it says 1230 and think to myself I am not going to be any good tomorrow if I don't roll over and get some sleep.  Three hours of my mind racing was enough! The next time I look at the clock it says 358....three and a half hours later.  Let me tell ya- it has been a looooong while since I got so little sleep. So, into my closet I go, kick back in my "papa john chair", as my youngest calls it, and this blog is born.  I leave you with this...Prednisone is a good med and works well but likened to speed  in a presciption bottle...and I did all of this ...WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING:)

No comments:

Post a Comment