Friday, January 27, 2012

Let your goodness become godliness!

I have always considered myself a good person.  Don't misunderstand me, I have done my share of bad things- but overall, I am a good person.  Until recent years, I thought that was all that was required of me.  The more I have come to know and love my Savior, I have realized that goodness is not good enough.  No matter what!  It doesn't matter how "good" you are to people and how many "good" things you do...it matters none in the eyes of God.  Yes, to this world, one can easily take on the characteristics of being a good and sometimes even great person.  Webster defines godliness as conforming to the laws and wishes of God; devout; coming from God.  The confusion begins when you really get to know good people and realize that there is not many godly characteristics about them.  So yes, in the eyes of this world...they are great and to themselves they are great. I am thankful that I now know the difference.  I pray for God to break my heart for what breaks His and I find myself thinking of these people often.  In fact, last night God awakened me and my heart was heavy for people in situations such as this.  Oh how I wish I could help others experience the love of God!  If people could experience this... truly experience this- their desire would be to know God and take on His characteristics...therefore, become a godly person. I have to put a sock in my mouth as I witness selfish motives from good people.  Perhaps, my heart was heavy for my reactions towards these people.  Perhaps, I need help loving these people.  Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps!  Perhaps, I was then kissed on the cheek as I rolled over...and perhaps, he doesn't even know I noticed.  Well, I did!  Contentment!

1 Timothy 6:6
Godliness with contentment is great gain!

No comments:

Post a Comment